FMTV - The Trouble with Bread

The Trouble with Bread

Runtime: 26m 31s | Release date: 2014

This film features: Michael Pollan.

Michael Pollan (author of "Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation") told the filmmaker, Maggie Beidelman, that her gluten intolerance could all be in her head. She half agreed with him, because the number of Americans buying into the $10.5 billion "gluten-free" industry is disturbing. There is so much more to learn about wheat - and how it has changed in just the last couple of generations - before we completely sign it off.

In this film, Ms. Beidelman journeys from farm to mill to table on a quest for answers about gluten intolerance and a hunt for the perfect loaf, one she can eat without getting sick. Along the way, she makes some unexpected discoveries about crucial changes to the wheat itself and how it is processed and fermented. Let’s just say that bread as you know it, is not what you think.

Maggie Beidelman
Michael Pollan
David Killilea
Ken Albala
Todd Oppenheimer
Mark Shigenaga

You may also like:

Elisabeth vG | 2 days, 21 hours ago
Thank God there still are some good bakeries here in Europe...! (It is getting worse, though!)
I have started baking my own bread according to the method developed by Lutz Geissler, a German geologist, during his leisure time at university, it is quite easy (great blog: www.ploetzblog.de). You either take sour dough or a tiny bit of yeast and get phantastic bread. Apart from grain, salt and water you need - time! But not time you work on the dough, just time waiting for the dough to rise and ripen. As studies show, the amount of gluten is shrinking when you give the dough this time.
It makes me sick looking at the factory-made breads in plastic bags... this is not actually "our daily BREAD", is it?
And what about rye bread? It is phantastic and does not contain so much gluten. This gluten thing is all about getting back control over your own food... I have got my own little mill and so I get my own whole grain flour.
Joan Rodriguez | 2 months, 3 weeks ago
I can't understand why glyphosate and the way wheat is sprayed with this pesticide heavily before and after harvest was not even mentioned like it has nothing to do with the problem many are experiencing with eating wheat products.
Ivory David | FMTV | 2 months, 3 weeks ago
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us Joan, I will surely pass this on to our Team ~ Ivory :)
lacey dumler | 3 days, 8 hours ago
I was thinking the same thing!!! How can we talk about wheat without talking about glyphosate?!
Nikki Rose | 3 months, 1 week ago
The problem we all have with gluten is the way most wheat is cultivated today. This issue has been addressed for decades. "The Dark Side of Wheat" by Sayer Ji spells it out in his a report, among others. In addition to glyphosate and other toxic agro-chemicals used to process wheat. Unless we're eating organic, heirloom varieties of wheat, it'a a highly toxic product. It should not even be called food anymore.
Iris Aguanta | FMTV | 3 months, 1 week ago
Hi Nikki, thank you so much for stopping by to comment and share your insights on this topic! We appreciate it :) ~ Iris
Marilou Morgan | 4 months ago
I buy good organic whole berries grind them myself and make my own breads. I have a grain grinder. When my children were young, I couldn't keep up with it. They and my now x husband could demolish a loaf at one sitiing. The older ancient & heriloom wheats are much better. They contain less gluten and are way better for us. The food industry along with big pharma are destroying our helath!!
Iris Aguanta | FMTV | 4 months ago
Thanks so much for watching and for sharing, Marilou! :) ~ Iris
Polycarp G | 6 months, 3 weeks ago | Edited 6 months, 3 weeks ago
Are there any trusted online retailers to purchase real whole wheat bread that is not going to kill me? I need bread in my life I am not going to give it up ever, or does anybody know how to start a starter from home. They mentioned France I wonder about Italy, you would think Italy would have good digestible bread left in tact to eat they almost worship the bread there. I love Italy. Russia also has banned Monsato and GMOs, they are making some great strides in farming in Russia no one seems to have problems in consuming Russian bread either. The US is toxic in so many ways I love my country but I am not proud of what we have done to Wheat in this country what a problem.
Andrea Alicer | FMTV | 6 months, 3 weeks ago
Hello, Polycarp! We would suggest posting this question in our Facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258409004580865/?ref=bookmarks Our group contains people from all over the world, maybe someone will have a brand recommendation for you. Alternatively, you can make your own! Check our recipes here: https://www.fmtv.com/watch/paleo-bread + https://www.fmtv.com/watch/gluten-free-almond-flour-bread-with-chia-jam :) ~ Andrea