FMTV - The Trouble with Bread

The Trouble with Bread

Runtime: 26m 31s | Release date: 2014

This film features: Michael Pollan.

Michael Pollan (author of "Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation") told the filmmaker, Maggie Beidelman, that her gluten intolerance could all be in her head. She half agreed with him, because the number of Americans buying into the $10.5 billion "gluten-free" industry is disturbing. There is so much more to learn about wheat - and how it has changed in just the last couple of generations - before we completely sign it off.

In this film, Ms. Beidelman journeys from farm to mill to table on a quest for answers about gluten intolerance and a hunt for the perfect loaf, one she can eat without getting sick. Along the way, she makes some unexpected discoveries about crucial changes to the wheat itself and how it is processed and fermented. Let’s just say that bread as you know it, is not what you think.

Maggie Beidelman
Michael Pollan
David Killilea
Ken Albala
Todd Oppenheimer
Mark Shigenaga

You may also like:

Amrita Whitman | 1 month, 3 weeks ago
Interesting film although I was surprised that the film didn't cover Dr. Stephanie Seneff's work on how all wheat except organic, is now sprayed with glyphosate (Round-Up) when harvested.
delyana rooijakkers | 2 months, 2 weeks ago
I was diagnosed with Celiac about a year ago. My 3yo daughter as well. And we did not consume all that much bread in our daily life so I really didn’t understand. Then I started to read labels when shopping- gluten and wheat are almost everywhere! Think about soy sauce and spices - I never thought there will be wheat in spices!
Iris Aguanta | FMTV | 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment and for sharing, Delyana! 🌷 ~ Iris@FMTV
Agnieszka Szumska | 3 months, 1 week ago
in France you can still eat a very good bread....after years of exile a good bread is comming back to Poland as well.
I had a trouble finding good bread in UK.... with my husband we were making up to 60 miles to get a better bread.. people were saying that we were "the crazy people"
Jasmin Habelito | FMTV | 3 months, 1 week ago
Hi Agnieszka! We would recommend that you look for healthier and nutritious alternatives on your local health shop or organic specialty grocery stores that carry gluten-free bread. Or if you do not have a local supplier, there are online health shops that offer a range of gluten-free products. Hope this helps! ~ Jasmin
Linda Contreras | 4 months, 1 week ago
Wow great information
Karelle | FMTV | 4 months, 1 week ago
Thanks for watching, Linda! ~ Karelle@FMTV
Elisabeth vG | 6 months, 1 week ago
Thank God there still are some good bakeries here in Europe...! (It is getting worse, though!)
I have started baking my own bread according to the method developed by Lutz Geissler, a German geologist, during his leisure time at university, it is quite easy (great blog: www.ploetzblog.de). You either take sour dough or a tiny bit of yeast and get phantastic bread. Apart from grain, salt and water you need - time! But not time you work on the dough, just time waiting for the dough to rise and ripen. As studies show, the amount of gluten is shrinking when you give the dough this time.
It makes me sick looking at the factory-made breads in plastic bags... this is not actually "our daily BREAD", is it?
And what about rye bread? It is phantastic and does not contain so much gluten. This gluten thing is all about getting back control over your own food... I have got my own little mill and so I get my own whole grain flour.
Agnieszka Szumska | 3 months, 1 week ago
wow...thank you for the link
Joan Rodriguez | 9 months ago
I can't understand why glyphosate and the way wheat is sprayed with this pesticide heavily before and after harvest was not even mentioned like it has nothing to do with the problem many are experiencing with eating wheat products.