FMTV - The Real Dirt on Farmer John

The Real Dirt on Farmer John

Runtime: 82m 25s | Release date: 2005

THE REAL DIRT ON FARMER JOHN is an epic tale of a maverick Midwestern farmer.

An outcast in his community, Farmer John bravely stands amidst a failing economy, vicious rumors, and violence. By melding the traditions of family farming with the power of art and free expression, this powerful story of transformation and renewal heralds a resurrection of farming in America.

Through highly personal interviews and 50 years of beautifully textured footage, filmmaker Taggart Siegel shares Farmer John’s haunting and humorous odyssey, capturing what it means to be wildly different in a rural community.

John Peterson
Anna Nielsen

You may also like:

Belinda Rosenberg | 1 year, 6 months ago
OMG that made me cry, what an amazing life adventure - such a welcome story of success through doing the right thing for the planet and its inhabitants - we need to grow this swell of committed participants in the organic back to grass roots society where we work together and grow health and happiness ... thanks for such a heart warming story and thank you John for huimbly seeing the sense of respecting the earth and nurturing the land that sustains us ( without monsanto) Live well and prosper John ... bless you
Joyce Ann Solomon | FMTV | 1 year, 6 months ago
Thank you for the wonderful feedback, Belinda. We are glad to hear that you have been inspired by this film :) ~ Joyce
elizabeth Clare | 1 year, 7 months ago
I was not sure what to think about this film while I was watching it. Half way through I thought I did not like it and would stop watching but I could not stop. I grew up on a farm which was a family dairy farm in country Victoria in the 60's. Always loved the farm but as so many moved away to the city to find work. Always was sorry when my parents had to sell because they could not make a living out of dairy in the 70's. I found the film a bit depressing in some parts but over all I loved the fact that the farmer held on even in bad circumstances and rumours from neighbours. I think it gives you hope that there is a future for small farms if the community support all the hard work that goes into it. By the end I was inspired and pleased for the farmer and his supporters.
Iris Aguanta | FMTV | 1 year, 7 months ago
Hi Elizabeth, it's great to know you were inspired by the film still, and thank you so much for taking the time to comment and share your thoughts about the film and your story as well :) ~ Iris
Tracey Chatman | 2 years, 3 months ago
Such a moving and inspirational story.
Carol Wagner | 2 years, 6 months ago
Fantastic! I accidentally found this film after watching "Mother" last night. I was glued to the screen. What an inspiration! I don't have a farm, but I do have land to grow on. Now, I want to sign up for a local CSA and help out another possible Farmer John out by me. Thank you John and your family for your admiral dedication to the land and for a film which is such an inspiration.
Jasmin Habelito | FMTV | 2 years, 6 months ago
Hi Carol! It's great to know that the movie has inspired you to help out the local farmers. Thank you for your enthusiasm and keep it up! ~ Jasmin
sandra kennedy | 3 years, 5 months ago
I cried through this movie, for those boys I grew up with that did not live to see such an amazing future. John is incredible . This movie should be shown in every school and college where country kids attend.
Darcy | 3 years, 11 months ago
What an incredibly moving documentary - John is such an admirable man! His authenticity, his tenacity, his willingness to be open and vulnerable about his struggles and his dedication to carrying on his family legacy are inspiring. Because he refused to give up and had such a supportive mother, hundreds of lives have been touched and positively impacted - from all those who have worked on his farm (with such diverse backgrounds) to the families he feeds with lovingly cultivated, nourishing food grown in ways that heal the earth and people. And equally as important, what a sense of community he has created - something so sorely missing in this day and age.
Sonja | 3 years, 11 months ago
wonderfully wacky!!! makes me want to work on his farm. . . distance is a bit of a problem! go local farmers, I know i love mine!