FMTV - The Business Of Being Born

The Business Of Being Born

Runtime: 84m 39s | Release date: 2008

This film features: Ina May Gaskin.

The Business of Being Born is a 2008 documentary film that explores the contemporary experience of childbirth in the United States. Produced by Ricki Lake, it compares various childbirth methods, including midwives, natural births, epidurals, and Cesarean sections. The film criticizes the American health care system with its emphasis on medicines and costly interventions and its view of childbirth as a medical emergency rather than a natural occurrence.

The film documents actual home births and water births. They follow a midwife, Cara, in New York, as she takes care of and attends several births. It provides statistics about our current birthing techniques and the challenges faced by today's doctors. Many experts are interviewed and they cite a multitude of reasons for these challenges, such as the overuse of medical procedures in the interest of saving time.

Ricki Lake
Carolyn Havens Neimann
Susan Hodges
Gregor Huebner
La Juana Huebner

You may also like:

JANE STINSON | 5 months, 3 weeks ago
This film was amazing! My daughter is pregnant with her first child and is doing a home birth with midwives. I’m so happy for her! My two births were traumatic on many levels. Thanks for this documentary! Everyone who is considering having a baby should watch this documentary and made an informed decision on the birth process! Thanks for this incredible film!
Ivory David | FMTV | 5 months, 3 weeks ago
We are more than happy to be sharing this helpful information with you and the rest of our FMTV members Jane, thank you for watching and for your great feedback ~ Ivory :)
Alonna Columbo | 7 months, 1 week ago
Amazing! This just strengthened my determination to stick with my natural birth goals. Bravo!!!
Iris Aguanta | FMTV | 7 months, 1 week ago
Glad to hear you loved this documentary, Alonna! Wishing you the very best! ❤ ~ Iris
Katherine Karr | 1 year, 4 months ago
So good. This film is so empowering. I loved it so much! <3
Joyce Ann Solomon | FMTV | 1 year, 4 months ago
Awesome! Lovely to hear that, Katherine. Keep up being so active. Sending you virtual hugs and positive vibes :) ~ Joyce
Kirsty Wilkinson | 2 years, 6 months ago
loved this doco. I am in NZ and we use a midwifery system over here, it is incredible to see how different it is in the states!!
Jennifer Carvajal | 3 years, 1 month ago
Loved watching this.... My first 2 were born in the US, both in hospital. First was induced/epidural/episiotomy - the works. Second I went 24 hours naturally. After labouring all day, I went into hospital around 11pm and they broke my waters (the only intervention I had) and he was born by 2:45am. We moved to New Zealand and I have had 3 midwife assisted water births and am due for my number 6 now! I have been having steady strong contractions all morning and am about to head to the birthing unit for my water birth. It was great to watch this as labour started as it reminds us of what a natural process birth is and how it can be a wonderful experience. It is definitely much different here in New Zealand and I think the US could definitely learn a few things by looking at how other countries approach birth.
Carolin Limburg | 3 years, 4 months ago
When I watched this documentary I was 41+ weeks pregnant. It was my second pregnancy and during the last few years I have come a long way to find my inner peace with the developement of things back then!
Everybody started asking when I was going to induce labour... I strongly believe that live always finds its way and that we should not interfere so much. So I refused any early intervention as long as the baby and I were perfectly fine. This documentary reassured me, made me cry, made me believe in myself, in my Intuition and in my decissions. I loved it!

Not even 24 hours after I watched it, labour started naturaly. I gave birth to my wonderful, healthy and strong boy! With the help of a midwife and without any medical intervention. Unlike my first pregnancy and birth were I felt like sitting in a nutshell almost drowning during a tropical thunderstorm, this time I felt like surfing a powerful and rough wave. Ladies: All of us have the strength and ability to do this as it is supposed to be! This inspiring documentary shows us how peaceful, how intimate and how empowering giving birth can be! Thank you FMTV for sharing this!
Fiona Fay | 2 years, 4 months ago