Pesto Pasta with Steamed Greens

Series: Food Matters Main Meal Recipes | Episode: 22 | Runtime: 4m 29s | Release date: 2016

Serves: 1

Why it is good for you:

The secret to this pasta is the homemade basil pesto. The hero in this dish is the basil.

Did you know there are actually 35 different types of basil? Basil contains antioxidant-rich volatile essential oils. These volatile essential oils are what give the herb its distinct smell and taste and they’re also responsible for the healing benefits of basil.

Basil contains disease-fighting antioxidants, and has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antimicrobial properties.  When buying basil, look for brightly colored leaves that are firm and aren’t wilted; or simply grown your own.

James Colquhoun

More From Food Matters Main Meal Recipes:

christine jefferson | 5 months, 2 weeks ago
I am making this dish tonight since I started the detox late and am finishing the first week! I can't believe how much better my digestion is and I am finally, after a lot of time trying, beginning to shed some pounds!!!! My tummy is getting back to my normal and I am keeping my fingers crossed this will continue throughout the 21 days. My goal is to lose 4 more pounds (already lost 3 in the first week) and maintain that weight which happens to be my "normal" weight before the increase over the past 4 months. I thought the weight gain was due to family stress and not enough sleep, but now I am having trouble explaining why the sudden weight loss? hmm. I think with the stress I was not only sleeping less, but also consuming more food than normal even though it was all healthy food. Now my question: From my VIOME testing I found out I can not eat dates at all, so I am wondering what I can use to substitute dates in the smoothy and other recipes calling for them. So sad as I love dates, but life goes on....:) Thank you for any suggestions!
Jasmin Habelito | FMTV | 5 months, 2 weeks ago
Hi Christine! If you can't use dates, you could certainly substitute a tablespoon of maple syrup, honey or agave syrup to your smoothie. For other recipes, though it includes dates, you can easily exclude them by using more of the other dried fruits such as cranberries, blueberries, figs, mulberries, golden berries, plums, apricots or raisins. Congrats to a healthier you! ~ Jasmin ❤
Geree Martin | 5 months, 4 weeks ago
I must have done something wrong. The pesto was the first dish I did not enjoy. It tasted bitter and very much like walnuts.
Elizabeth McKenzie | 5 months, 4 weeks ago
I had the same problem...very bitter and only by adding some maple syrup was I able to eat the pesto. It would be great to know what causes the bitterness because it was super easy to make and I'd try it again if I knew what to change.
Holly Templer | 5 months, 4 weeks ago
Me too. Very dry mouth bitter walnutty. I soaked the walnuts for about an hour before.
Lisa Porter | 1 year, 1 month ago
Do you recommend soaking the Walnuts to activate them before using them to make the pesto or does the act of blending them in the food processor get rid of the enzyme inhibitors?
Ivory David | FMTV | 1 year, 1 month ago
Hello Lisa, yes we would suggest soaking the walnuts. These articles will shed you more light: http://www.foodmatters.com/article/the-benefits-of-soaking-nuts-and-seeds http://www.foodmatters.com/article/should-you-activate-your-nuts-and-seeds ~ Ivory :)
Sandra Martinez | 1 year, 1 month ago
This look like a great dish the problem is the shopping list does not merino walnuts :/
Shopping list only has pumpkin and sunflower seeds.
The curry paste and radish are also missing.
Perhaps the shopping list can be revised.
Ivory David | FMTV | 1 year, 1 month ago
Hello Sandra, we apologise for the inconvenience. I greatly value your feedback and will surely pass this on to our Team. We will keep you posted regarding this matter ~ Ivory
Helen Connolly | 1 year, 2 months ago
I really enjoyed this - it was so filling that I had some left over for tomorrow