FMTV - On Behalf of Our Breasts: The Dark Side of Screening

On Behalf of Our Breasts: The Dark Side of Screening

Runtime: 52m 34s | Release date: 2016

Breast cancer kills. But are blanket programs that screen all women, rather than those with symptoms, doing more harm than good? Controversially, studies into the effects of these programs show they do not reduce the risk of dying from breast cancer. Healthy women are receiving unnecessary diagnoses of pre-cancerous conditions that are unlikely to develop and many are harmed by unnecessary treatment. We follow four women from around the world who are facing the fear of cancer.

Dr. Philippe Autier
Dr. Gilbert Welch
Dr. Bernard Duperray
Dr. Peter Gøtzsche
Prof Jean-Luc Harousseau
Dr. Daniel Rea

You may also like:

CATHERINE KIERNAN | 1 month, 1 week ago
This is absolutely excellent information. It is sooooooo important that we go into these big decision with as much information as possible. My 36 year old daughter, who had Hodgkin's Lymphoma at age 19, found lumps in her breast and arm pit almost 2 years ago. She found the lumps during self-examination. A mammogram showed nothing! A biopsy of tissue in her armpit provided no information. She refused a disfiguring biopsy of her breast. She has been told she will need annual mammograms that involve laying face down on a massage-type table with holes for her breasts to hang through (like the one used for the biopsy in this documentary). She said it's an awful experience. She's had one that showed nothing to be concerned about. She has a wonderful husband and 3 beautiful children and she has a lot of decisions to make because her next annual appointment is now overdue and the clinic is threatening to send a letter to her family physician saying she's an "un-cooperative patient". Luckily she's not concerned about that at all. It's more a concern about how to proceed. Doing nothing is her instinct - she's feeling wonderfully well. The cancer she had at 19 is a shadow over her life that she ignores for the most part but always knows is there. I haven't decided whether she should watch this documentary but I do know that, when the time comes, I will tell her about Dr. Gotzsche's research and the all too familiar reasons why studies of the effectiveness of screening were tainted.
Pauline Balidiong | FMTV | 1 month, 1 week ago
Thank you for sharing this, Catherine! We are glad your daughter was firm with her decision not to undergo biopsy! I hope you can share this with her, soon :) ~ Pauline@FMTV
kristy perkins | 2 months, 3 weeks ago
I have had 2 mammograms in my life... both before I started educating myself. Never will I have another one, Dental x-rays is another ridiculous practice... dentists want to do a full upper and lower set every year. I told my dentist they may x-ray a tooth if I am having pain in that tooth...otherwise, I will not allow them. EVER. I break a bone...then x-ray it if you need to...otherwise please NO RADIATION. We all know it's not safe no matter what they say to the contrary...
Joyce Ann Solomon | FMTV | 2 months, 3 weeks ago
Thank you for sharing your story and feedback Kristy. It is greatly appreciated :) ~ Joyce
karen bedard | 3 months, 2 weeks ago
Men get breast cancer too. I just turned 50 and i received two letters to set up a mammogram appointment and two calls from my doctor, who never calls and is never reachable when i have an issue, to go get a mammogram and offered to set the appointment up for me. My husband is 52 and has never received a letter and no call from the doctor(the same doctor that i have). Educating yourself, checking yourself, living a healthy life style and following your gut intuition is the route i am taking but it is a personal decision. Wish everyone well:)
Iris Aguanta | FMTV | 3 months, 2 weeks ago
Indeed, education is the key! Thank you for stopping by to comment and for sharing, Karen! ❤️ ~ Iris
Kimberly Bushart | 9 months, 2 weeks ago
After 5 biopsies over a couple of year period, they finally found "cancer". This was 9 years ago and honestly I feel like a fraud when someone mentions me being a cancer survivor. My diagnosis was DCIS and over the years I've learned this is "pre-cancerous". But, at the time I was scared and followed right along with the suggestion of a double mastectomy. Can't turn back the hands of time, but I do now tell my nieces to not overreact to breast issues. So happy this film shows the other side. It is frustrating, but I think it's all about following the money.
Ivory David | FMTV | 9 months, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience with us Kimberly, it must be hard. We wish you wellness and best of health ~ Ivory :)
Jennifer Francis | 10 months ago
After several conflicting diagnosis, I decided not to do any more mammograms. I still practice self exam and would ask for thermography, if i sense anything is wrong. My body is too precious to leave up to people who do not have my best interest. Thanks FMTV. Your resources have helped me to search for what works for me.
Jasmin Habelito | FMTV | 10 months ago
That's just truly awesome, Jennifer! Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. Here’s to you—steadier, stronger and better every day. ~ Jasmin