FMTV - Licorice

Licorice

Series: Keeping it Real with Chef Shine | Episode: 4 | Runtime: 06m 59s | Release date: 2019

No more ‘healthy, organic’ licorice from the health food store with ingredients that are just as bad as regular licorice that is filled with refined sugar, oils, and preservatives. They are no good for your gut.

A much cleaner licorice recipe for you and your friends to enjoy, using real food ingredients only, as nature intended!

Chef Danielle Shine

More From Keeping it Real with Chef Shine:

Laurie Barbarosh | 1 month ago
Wow I am so surprised how good this licorice tastes! My only issue was I couldn't get the star anise to blend well into a powder. I used my coffee grinder and then my vitamix and still couldn't get a powder. Anyway, there is a slight crunch. Next batch I will have to figure something else out- suggestions?
Andrea Alicer | FMTV | 1 month ago
Hello Laurie, thanks for sharing and we're glad to hear you loved it! As mentioned by Chef Danielle, it depends on the power of your blender and is advised to use a high-speed one or you have to do the process a couple of times until you get the right powder needed. 😊 ~ Andrea@FMTV
Lucie Urbancova | 1 month, 2 weeks ago
I have just made this and even though I had substituted some ingredients it turned out yummy. It's kind of similar to bliss balls so if you have mastered these it's just matter of different flavor which is great because I never heard of this one before...
I didn't have licorice root, but used licorice tea instead - I've put the teabag into small cup put the dates on top (i had normal dry ones so used 2x the amount) poured hot water over just to almost cover them and left sitting for a while. Banana flour I didn't have either so ground up black sesame seeds and cashew nuts instead right after the star anise. When the dates soaked a bit I pulled the tea bag out but didn't want to discard the rest of the brew so I whizzed all of it instead knowing I will have to up the drys. To date paste I added coconut oil and whizzed again then added all the rest.. it was way too runny as expected so I added approx another 1/4 c of black sesame seeds ground and 1 Tsp of Spirulina powder then I started adding coconut flour which helped in drying it up ( if I would have pumpkin flour I would probably try that one instead), when I had hand able mix I rolled as showed and it's looking good. Due to spirulina it looks a bit darker I would say but has a bit of a greener tint in it. - but it's again a bit healthier :-)
My point is - don't be afraid to play with it , if you like licorice you will love it in any form you give to it as the star anise masks anything else you put in :-)
Cheers Lucie
Joyce Ann Solomon | FMTV | 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Wow! Thank you for sharing this with us Lucie, such a useful tips for everyone :) ~ Joyce@FMTV
Desiree Butzer | 1 month, 3 weeks ago
Some lovely recipes x Thank you x wondering where to get banana flour, never heard of it ?can i dehydrate bananas and make my own?
Karelle | FMTV | 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Hello Desiree. You can purchase a gluten-free banana flour from some reputable stores online. You can also make your own by watching helpful tutorial videos. Enjoy! ~ Karelle@FMTV 🌸