FMTV - How to Be a Healthy Vegan

How to Be a Healthy Vegan

Series: Food as Medicine TV: Season 3 | Episode: 5 | Runtime: 07m 47s | Release date: 2018

An elimination of all animal products can (but doesn’t have to) lead to certain nutritional deficiencies, especially with regard to protein, several micronutrients, fat-soluble vitamins A and D, iron, and vitamin B12. Learn how to stay healthy on a plant-based diet and avoid these deficiencies.

Christa Orecchio

More From Food as Medicine TV: Season 3:

Nathalie Rousselot | 2 weeks, 1 day ago
OMG...people be generous and kind....It is important to listen to different points of view....i watch, listened, let it sink in and talked about it with family...my husband eats meat (out of the house) and the rest of us are vegan...but now days when vegan is gaining popularity. Things start to happen : good ones AND bad ones....I go to Japan...their tofu has NOTHING to do with ours, here in America...the taste is so different. And with vegan getting popular big companies wants in with the profit to make...Stay with in season produce and use the tofu, the new '' Behond meat'' syndrome as junk food...i do eat tofu but when we eat out, or BBQ's ...my daughter eat Behond Meat kind of burger just to fit a bit more in school gatherings...She loves it when she tricks her friends. And smile....My husband (meat eater) wants to change and listed to this show...it reassured him and helped him to understand....so be aware that she is listened not just by convinced vegans but by newbies too...my husband is a crossfiter and first question is protein and iron and vitamins not coming in...so to hear her and us too...lol...he ate like us today...Thank you Chirsta and FMTV you are making change happen....keep the good work.
Iris Aguanta | FMTV | 2 weeks, 1 day ago | Edited 2 weeks, 1 day ago
You're very much welcome Nathalie! Thank you so much as well for taking the time to comment and share your thoughts on this topic :) All the best to you and your family! ❤ ~ Iris
Sharon Bates | 2 months ago
Flexitarian here. 95% vegan. Fan of Christa. This solidified what I recently discovered through discussions & lab testing with my current naturopathic doc. Vit D & B12 deficient. Calcium ok, because I do cook my greens (or freeze them - which is another form of cooking), even for my smoothies. Iron & Zinc ok, too. I do soak my grains properly, thanks to Christa and her Kick Candida Cleanse protocol. Didn’t realize soaking my nuts for 1 hour was helpful in digestion- good to know!
I’m also a fan of Chef AJ (vegan), who discusses the importance of increasing carb intake and how she lost 50 lbs in doing so. Rich Roll (vegan champion athlete & friends with Chef AJ) has a great meal planning website that follows along these suggestions ChristA makes, on the sample plate of this video.

I can easily go crazy with all the “do this; don’t do that” rules with eating and nutrition, but this video does make a great point- which is the fact that vegans are more susceptible to having these deficiencies. Thanks for the heads up, Christa.

Tip: Sunbathing is best for Vitamin D. It covers the sphere of Vitamin D needed by the body, that taking the supplement D3 will never compare to. Between 11am- 2pm is when Vit D from the sun is available (depending where you live and season) I live in Salt Lake City, Utah, so it’s only available late spring through early fall. But, good news! It can be stored in the body and used over winter. People with darker skin/hair, need more sun exposure.

Ivory David | FMTV | 2 months ago
You're welcome, Sharon! We appreciate your time in sharing your takeaways with us. Great help for newbies here ~ Ivory :)
Khara Ashburne | 2 months ago
I see some of the other comments here so I won't bother to repeat them verbatim. I will just say that 1. I don't know why a vegan would choose a non-vegan coach or wellness person (not sure of her title?). I would never select a non-vegan to advise me on my diet?? 2. FMTV should've chose a vegan...to cover a vegan topic...??? 3. I think she could've gotten away with it if she cut out ANY references to all the stuff we COULD eat if we CHOSE to eat animal products. Her tone came off condescending. I'm sure she didn't mean it this way but its clear how she feels and that's what came through. At the end of the day, if someone was considering veganism, they would be turned off from the lifestyle after watching this...

Still confused on my second point.... Do love FMTV overall though!
Christa Orecchio | 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Hi Khara- I so appreciate your feedback. As mentioned, I was a vegan for a time being and just did not feel it was best for my body. I totally respect and have many family members and friends who are vegan and are healthy and their lab work is as well. Thank you again for the feedback and watching this episode :)
Eileen Coste | 2 months ago
I totally relate to this. Thank you Christa. As usual, I always learn so much from you. I did a 30 day on-line vegan challenge July last year, (cold turkey) and was amazed to find that I took to it like a duck to water. I simply loved it. However, 2 weeks after that month my gut was in an uproar. Must have been all those beans. I'm afraid I didn't make a very good vegan as hard as I tried. I did it because I have osteo-arthritis, especially in my hands and thought that I would do the challenge to help tame the flames of inflammation within my body. I have to say that what I know for sure is that I'm not fussed on beans and I don't like tofu. I was really concerned that I wasn't getting sufficient protein, Vit. D and B12 even though I was taking supplements for the D & B. I do strenuous exercise and I just wasn't able to keep my well being together. I had exactly those symptoms you describe: tired, not functioning optimally and I was putting on weight. Even though I no longer eat dairy, beef, chicken or pork, I now eat seafood and have just recently reintroduced eggs. I not only like the taste of salmon, I love how it makes me feel. It's so gentle on my gut and it somehow calms me. I would love to be vegan but it wasn't a fit for me. I am so glad I tried it though. I learned so much and I'm not where I was before I took the vegan challenge and I am so thankful for that. To each his own. We are all unique and we need to do what's right for us and sometimes you have to experiment to find out what that right is.
Ivory David | FMTV | 2 months ago
Hello Eileen, thank you for sharing your journey with us and we are so glad that you took control of your health and well being :) We don't believe there is a one size fits all approach to the 'perfect diet' - everybody is unique and needs to eat accordingly. Listen to your body and what makes you feel good ~ Ivory :)
Susan Joy | 2 months ago
A couple thoughts ... I am pretty darn new to the concepts of WFPB eating. Am looking to transition for health reasons. First time watching Elizabeth TV. I know nothing about her, her credentials, etc - can I suggest adding a bit of info about who she is under her name above? It would've helped me relate to her better. I feel there was some helpful information overall but I also could feel a growing "disconnect" as I continued to watch with the constant references to "my vegans." I came away with a subtle sense of feeling like a 'child' which, I have to say, didn't sit very comfortably.

I understand and appreciate the previous comments shared. I went in with a completely open mind, excited to get some great tips, (I picked up one or two), but feel I would've connected better if this video had been presented by someone already living a WFPB lifestyle or perhaps if Elizabeth didn't sound quite so "disappointed" with some of the choices made by "vegans." I came away feeling that she truly was not accepting of this kind of eating as a sustainable lifestyle.

Not sure I am interested in additional presentations by her but appreciate that many others may relate well to her. I also appreciate the diverse offerings within this platform and the commitment on the part of FMTV in providing offerings across such a variety of subjects!!
Thank you...