FMTV - How to Be a Healthy Vegan

How to Be a Healthy Vegan

Series: Food as Medicine TV: Season 3 | Episode: 5 | Runtime: 07m 47s | Release date: 2018

An elimination of all animal products can (but doesn’t have to) lead to certain nutritional deficiencies, especially with regard to protein, several micronutrients, fat-soluble vitamins A and D, iron, and vitamin B12. Learn how to stay healthy on a plant-based diet and avoid these deficiencies.

Christa Orecchio

More From Food as Medicine TV: Season 3:

Del Carpena | 4 weeks, 1 day ago
Am very interested in following a plant based diet and have been watching all the cooking/information from FMTV. I found this a refreshing and informative video from Christa Orecchio. I plan on watching her other videos over the weekend
Jori | FMTV | 4 weeks, 1 day ago
Hi Del :) Glad to know that you are taking control of your health. If you need recipe recommendations, we're just here ❤️ ~ Jori
Kathy Cook | 1 month, 3 weeks ago
You recommended no carbs with fruit for breakfast. We make oatmeal and usually have a large serving of fruit after. Do the oats inhibit the nutritional value of the fruit.
Iris Aguanta | FMTV | 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Hi Kathy, although fruit is an essential part of your diet, you want to avoid eating it with foods that take longer to digest. Fruits pass quickly through the stomach, but when you pair them with something like oats, they stay too long in your stomach and start to ferment. This can cause problems with digesting and even bloating. Hope this helps :) ~ Iris
Nathalie Rousselot | 2 months, 2 weeks ago
OMG...people be generous and kind....It is important to listen to different points of view....i watch, listened, let it sink in and talked about it with family...my husband eats meat (out of the house) and the rest of us are vegan...but now days when vegan is gaining popularity. Things start to happen : good ones AND bad ones....I go to Japan...their tofu has NOTHING to do with ours, here in America...the taste is so different. And with vegan getting popular big companies wants in with the profit to make...Stay with in season produce and use the tofu, the new '' Behond meat'' syndrome as junk food...i do eat tofu but when we eat out, or BBQ's ...my daughter eat Behond Meat kind of burger just to fit a bit more in school gatherings...She loves it when she tricks her friends. And smile....My husband (meat eater) wants to change and listed to this show...it reassured him and helped him to understand....so be aware that she is listened not just by convinced vegans but by newbies too...my husband is a crossfiter and first question is protein and iron and vitamins not coming in...so to hear her and us too...lol...he ate like us today...Thank you Chirsta and FMTV you are making change happen....keep the good work.
Iris Aguanta | FMTV | 2 months, 2 weeks ago | Edited 2 months, 2 weeks ago
You're very much welcome Nathalie! Thank you so much as well for taking the time to comment and share your thoughts on this topic :) All the best to you and your family! ❤ ~ Iris
Sharon Bates | 4 months, 1 week ago
Flexitarian here. 95% vegan. Fan of Christa. This solidified what I recently discovered through discussions & lab testing with my current naturopathic doc. Vit D & B12 deficient. Calcium ok, because I do cook my greens (or freeze them - which is another form of cooking), even for my smoothies. Iron & Zinc ok, too. I do soak my grains properly, thanks to Christa and her Kick Candida Cleanse protocol. Didn’t realize soaking my nuts for 1 hour was helpful in digestion- good to know!
I’m also a fan of Chef AJ (vegan), who discusses the importance of increasing carb intake and how she lost 50 lbs in doing so. Rich Roll (vegan champion athlete & friends with Chef AJ) has a great meal planning website that follows along these suggestions ChristA makes, on the sample plate of this video.

I can easily go crazy with all the “do this; don’t do that” rules with eating and nutrition, but this video does make a great point- which is the fact that vegans are more susceptible to having these deficiencies. Thanks for the heads up, Christa.

Tip: Sunbathing is best for Vitamin D. It covers the sphere of Vitamin D needed by the body, that taking the supplement D3 will never compare to. Between 11am- 2pm is when Vit D from the sun is available (depending where you live and season) I live in Salt Lake City, Utah, so it’s only available late spring through early fall. But, good news! It can be stored in the body and used over winter. People with darker skin/hair, need more sun exposure.

Ivory David | FMTV | 4 months, 1 week ago
You're welcome, Sharon! We appreciate your time in sharing your takeaways with us. Great help for newbies here ~ Ivory :)
Khara Ashburne | 4 months, 1 week ago
I see some of the other comments here so I won't bother to repeat them verbatim. I will just say that 1. I don't know why a vegan would choose a non-vegan coach or wellness person (not sure of her title?). I would never select a non-vegan to advise me on my diet?? 2. FMTV should've chose a vegan...to cover a vegan topic...??? 3. I think she could've gotten away with it if she cut out ANY references to all the stuff we COULD eat if we CHOSE to eat animal products. Her tone came off condescending. I'm sure she didn't mean it this way but its clear how she feels and that's what came through. At the end of the day, if someone was considering veganism, they would be turned off from the lifestyle after watching this...

Still confused on my second point.... Do love FMTV overall though!
Christa Orecchio | 3 months, 2 weeks ago
Hi Khara- I so appreciate your feedback. As mentioned, I was a vegan for a time being and just did not feel it was best for my body. I totally respect and have many family members and friends who are vegan and are healthy and their lab work is as well. Thank you again for the feedback and watching this episode :)