FMTV - The Truth About Cancer: Chris Wark

The Truth About Cancer: Chris Wark

Series: FMTV Interviews | Episode: 3 | Runtime: 1h 20m | Release date: 2016

This segment features: Chris Wark, James Colquhoun.

In this exclusive interview, filmmaker and founder of 'Food Matters', James Colquhoun, chats with cancer survivor Chris Wark from ‘Chris Beat Cancer’. Chris is the incredible man who took cancer head on and managed the disease through radical diet and lifestyle changes.

James and Chris talk through his story, experiences, and how he managed to push past fear to fight disease through natural healing modalities.

Follow along as Chris shares his story and encourages people to think about all their options when faced with such a life-changing prognosis.

Chris Wark
James Colquhoun

More From FMTV Interviews:

Hilda None | 3 years, 2 months ago
Chris is doing something right, he still looks young. I have been following you for a few years now and now my son follows you as well. Keep up the great work!
Joy Dunigan | 3 years, 4 months ago
Chris...You are soooo spot-on. Love what you had to say....Thank you...
Araceli Hughes | 3 years, 5 months ago
Loved, loved, loved this interview! So much covered on so many levels. I will listen to it again and again. Very inspiring!!
Leslie OHALLORAN | 3 years, 5 months ago
I loved this interview, such a real story - but wanted o know if Chris had any other therapies like colonics or hyperbaric - did I miss the answer to that after Jams mentioned it?
Ivette Williams | 3 years, 5 months ago
Hi Leslie! Thanks for commenting. We suggest heading to Chris's site to find out more about his treatment and therapies: http://www.chrisbeatcancer.com/
Barbara Harford | 3 years, 5 months ago
Great story and yes, it makes me optimistic for the future. It inspires to take hold of your own care at the present moment. Thank you both for sharing your conversation and the access to all of this great information!
Mandy Barker | 3 years, 5 months ago
Thank so much for this interview. i found an answer to a question that i didn't realize what it meant. About 4-months back or longer my father was diagnose with tongue cancer he is currently going through the normal american doctor orders way. I tried for awhile to offer help by making juices or just eating better but he would not do it because it was his choice. Well after the surgery he was told to eat lots of calorie foods like ice cream pizza or anything with basic american diet. but no one could answer my question 'why cant he right now before the radiation and chemo starts, to go ahead and eat salads or juices and smoothies?'. i figure since it was his tongue and throat area juices and smoothies much easier to get down than a salad because in the surgery they had crack the mandible and so his teeth are not set like they were before. but after a while i just realize that i just got to be there for him when i can, i cant change his mind. I just loved how in this interview Chris answered my question ''why cant he right now before the radiation and chemo starts, to go ahead and eat salads or juices and smoothies?' and from his answer that the the healthy foods will get rid of the chemo faster. loved it and thanks for that. also thanks for also reminding me that if others don't want the help then don't worry about it. it sounds harsh but since either of my folks read books anymore and the only TV they do watch is cooking shows Netflix and news not much i can swing there way. so far my best decision is to better myself and maybe just maybe one day they may ask how do i keep looking young or how is it that you don't have to take medication. so my journey continues. Thanks a lot for this info today. :)
Colleen Belliveau | 3 years, 5 months ago
So much information in this one interview! I am blown away by how insightful and knowledgeable Chris is for someone so young! A huge thank you to both Chris Wark and James Colquhoun for their vitally important and amazing work!
Faith Waulker | 3 years, 5 months ago
I could relate to so much of what Chris said. In 2011, I was diagnosed with colon cancer after being in devastating chronic stress for one year. After 23 years of marriage, giving up my career, and homeschooling my 4 kids for 18 years, I found myself going through a divorce and being back in school. Stupid me picked probably the WORST career choice to reduce stress - nursing!; nothing short of more chronic stress for 4 more years.

My doctor blew me off for 8 months telling me I had hemorrhoids, but I knew I didn't. I didn't fit the stereotype for cancer - I was active and I was only 46. Finally, after the problems didn't go away and the medications didn't work, he performed a colonoscopy and found a 5-6 cm tumor. I believe this was on a Wednesday. By Friday, I was in a surgeon's office and the following Tuesday, I was having surgery. I got the spill about the necessity of a quick surgery followed by chemo and radiation to give me the best chance of survival. A first surgery biopsy showed there was not a clear margin and another surgery would have to be done later. I had my chemo port implanted only to return to the ER the next day due to a pneumothorax (collapsed lung from the insertion). After 5 or so days in the hospital and a chest tube later , I proceeded to begin my chemo and radiation. After a week and a half on chemo (5-FU), I was back in the hospital for 8 days due to a severe reaction. My entire GI tract was raw. My lips were swollen and bloody. I did not eat for a week in the hospital. After I got out, I completed my radiation but refused any further chemo. The radiation caused me not to have any more monthly cycles.

Approximately 6-8 weeks after the completion of my radiation, I had my "big surgery" where a larger part of my colon/rectum was removed along with 19 lymph nodes. I had a temporary ileostomy for about six weeks. Three days after having my surgery, and progressing to more solid food, I developed an obstruction in my small intestine. For 30 hours, I was kept sedated by morphine due to the incredible pain. I tried telling them what was wrong but they would not listen. After I began throwing up more frequently, they decided to call in the "team" to figure out what to do. (This was on a weekend - bad timing.) At 3 a.m. that Sunday morning, the blockage broke loose and I was back up walking within 30 minutes. The nurses were amazed. During this whole time, I was still going through the divorce and still taking classes, being told I had to get a 4.0 gpa to have any chance at nursing school. Each hospital visit included my stack of textbooks.

About 6 weeks after the surgery, I had my ileostomy reversed and my port taken out. I was adamant I was not going to do the 4-6 months of further, and worse, chemo than I had before. I just couldn't afford to be weak and sick for another year. I was down to a size 4 and heading to a 2. I had no muscle mass and no fat. I loved being that size, but i was treading on dangerous ground. I did not even have the energy to walk to the back of the grocery store, get a couple of items, and empty my cart. One day, a cashier noticed I was exhausted and emptied my cart for me. I was not even sure how I would get the groceries out of my vehicle and into the house. I had become so weak and I literally did not have any reserve. I had hit a wall and it wasn't looking good. I was still suffering from chemo brain and I had to find new ways to study. I was told to just start shoving in the calories in order to have some chance of making it.

The divorce was finally final (after a year and a half), six weeks after my surgery, days after my ileostomy reversal and port removal, and I was still in school. The healing was beginning but I had another bowel obstruction and hyperventilated due to pain as I was trying to drive myself to the hospital. I ended up calling for an ambulance because my body was going numb. During these months, my body was rejecting the staples from the surgery and I was back in the hospital twice for that.

Going through cancer, options and treatment is tough. Sadly, I was a "rare" case where things that "never happened" happened. When it rains it pours. I had just begun following a vegan diet before I was initially diagnosed because I had been experiencing other health problems due to my stress. I stayed a vegan through all my surgeries but stopped after I had lost so much weight and no longer wanted to eat. I wish I'd had the resources then that are available today. I have been vegan again for about a year as I am trying to maintain my health after the stress of nursing school and getting my license. Ironically, my first nursing job was horrbly stressful. I was on a burned out unit with burned out staff giving bags of medications to patients who ate incredibly unhealthy food. The doctors and nurses were absolutely ignorant about nutrition. I could only wonder how much of a better quality of life these patients would have it they had only known about a whole food plant based lifestyle. It broke my heart. I lasted about 7.5 months on that unit. Now, I've taken a break from nursing to remove the stress, and I am now starting to learn how to not only have physical health, but mental and emotional health as well.

If only people would take this information seriously. I wish I had known this long before I needed it.

As a added note. Whether you decide to go the chemo route or not, I would highly recommend getting a PET scan prior to any surgeries. This was a huge oversight on the part of my surgeon. This scan shows active cell activity indicating if it has spread. Once the surgery has been done, there is a lot of cell activity due to the trauma and healing. Also, do not be afraid to walk away from your doctor and find another one. I left at least two. Chris seemed to have a great checklist he mentioned discussing with your doctor.

Cancer is frightening and it is personal. You will have to make a lot of tough decisions for yourself or for a loved one. Even if you decided to go the traditional route, consider giving your body the best chance to survive and recover by eating a diet that will nourish your body and not increase the burden. Chris's website sounds great. Again, I wish I had known about it a few years ago.
Anne Hallam | 3 years, 3 months ago
Faith Walker ... Thank you very much for sharing your journey. You certainly dealt with a lot.