FMTV - Ultimate Vegan Coconut Bacon

Ultimate Vegan Coconut Bacon

Series: Elizabeth Eats Series 3: Healthy Make-Ahead Meals & Hacks | Episode: 4 | Runtime: 04m 17s | Release date: 2017

This segment features: Elizabeth Rider.

If you miss the crunchy, smoky flavor of bacon and want a healthy whole food vegan substitute, then this recipe is for you. Learn how to turn plain coconut flakes into savory "bacon" in just under 20 minutes, no processed soy required. This will be your new favorite salad topper and tastes great on just about anything.

Why It's Good For You:

Coconut is rich in healthy fats, nutrients, and fiber, while the spices and additional ingredients add wonderful flavor without sacrificing health. Paprika is an antioxidant-rich spice that comes from grinding peppers of the Capsicum annuum family, which are high in vitamin A, vitamin E, vitamin B-6, iron, and capsaicin. Capsaicin, the active ingredient in chili peppers that gives them their heat, relaxes blood vessels which can lower blood pressure. This plant-based substitute for processed bacon will become a staple in your healthy kitchen.

Elizabeth Rider

More From Elizabeth Eats Series 3: Healthy Make-Ahead Meals & Hacks:

Andrea Endersby | 2 months ago
My son LOVES bacon and it sounds like a substitute isnt going to taste as similar, so I would love to be able to make this for him. Can you advise of a supplier of the liquid smoke and the smoked sea salt that delivers to Queensland as I cannot find one.
Fernanda Mateus | 11 months ago
I can't wait to try. I saw that the recipe doesn't mention the Liquid Smoke but instead coconut aminos, can i substitute them? Because in Portugal i can't find liquid smoke. One more information please, i found smoked paprika but there is sweet and hot, which one should i use? Thank you so much.
Joyce Ann Solomon | FMTV | 11 months ago
Hello Fernanda, feel free to alter the recipe according to your preferences. You can use either sweet or hot paprika. it depends on what suits you :) ~ Joyce
Fernanda Mateus | 11 months ago
Thank you so much Joyce!
Ingrid | 1 year ago
I made this recipe, but it got way to well done within 10 minutes. I should have watched it more closely. perhaps my coconut flakes are thinner than then ones used in this recipe. The taste is excellent though. I give it another try and use my dehydrator instead. Thanks for a great recipe!
Pauline Balidiong | FMTV | 1 year ago
Great to know you tried making this! Yes, try again and we know you will be able to make your own perfect coconut bacon, soon! :) ~ Pauline
terri newman | 1 year, 11 months ago
I can't wait to make this. Wow! There is one thing I don't understand . For those who won't eat meat, why then do you call the meat substitutes by meat names? Example- coconut bacon, mock tuna, mock chicken etc. makes no sense to me. If you miss meat , then just eat it.