Dark Side Of The Chew

Runtime: 60m 14s | Release date: 2014

It's the world’s second most common form of litter. It’s invisible to most. Yet it lurks everywhere, including the bottoms of tables, desks, and shoes. How did we become so addicted to chewing gum, and how is our consumption of trillions of sticks a year impacting our health and our planet?

Join award-winning, eco-activist filmmaker Andrew Nisker – Garbage! Chemerical, Orange Witness – in a cinematic first as he travels our planet and speaks to gobs of manufacturers, activists, scientists, and everyday consumers to unravel the entertaining yet shocking truth behind our obsession with a seemingly innocuous product that is gumming up more than just our environment.

From an ancient archeological site in the northern wilds of Finland; to the bustling streets of London, England’s shopping district; to the steaming, bug-infested rainforests of Mexico; you’ll be taken on a country-hopping journey full of unexpected twists and bubble-bursting surprises. Dark Side of the Chew takes a Super Size Me approach to this documentary (Pat Mullen, Cinemablographer) – that is, in typical Andrew Nisker fashion, it takes on a serious, topical social issue with humor, quirkiness, and a playful quality, while still getting to the core of the issue. Editor of POV Magazine, Mark Glassman, enjoyed “the fact that it was a very funny film about a very serious subject. And I think Andrew was able to put it in a kind of context – the whole question of chewing gum – in a way that seemed funny on the one hand, but gradually got darker and darker, like the title of the film. He’s a wonderful filmmaker.”

Packed with quick facts and profound revelations about chewing gum, a product most people don’t give a second thought, the film goes one step further and tries to inspire the viewer to take action –“it reinforces the inspiring notion that any average Joe... can make a difference.” (Parker Mott, Dorkshelf.com) Dark Side Of The Chew will give you a lot to chomp on if you’re hooked on this seemingly innocent, age-old habit.

Andrew Nisker
Sheila White
Gerardo Ramirez
Alfredo Rodriguez
Manuel Aldrete

You may also like:

Deb Gauld | 1 year, 10 months ago
I wonder if this could be shown as a bit of public service announcement at the movie theatres? Just the trailer - to spark interest and bring awareness to this issue? I personally don't chew much gum anymore and I honestly can't remember the last time I actually threw a chewed piece of gum on the street. Certainly I'm not innocent in doing this in the past but as a kid who grew up in Toronto - I've stepped on my share of gum blobs and had the distasteful pleasure of trying to clean them off my shoes! Why do people think this kind of litter is acceptable? Enjoyed the movie and found it very informative. As I see it there are two issues in this movie - Gum polution and the actual contents of the gum.
Iris Aguanta | FMTV | 1 year, 10 months ago
Hi Deb, thank you for taking the time to comment and we're so happy to know you enjoyed watching the film! That is a really great suggestion and we would love for you to connect with the filmmakers directly regarding this matter: http://www.darksideofthechew.com/filmmakers/. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts on this topic and all the best on your journey ahead! :) ~ Iris
Lisa | 1 year, 10 months ago
I do not support aspartame, or any of the other harmful chemicals that replace sugar = so toxic!! I buy maybe 1 pack of gum a year and wind up chewing really stale gum when it comes to it. I have to look and see if Big Red has this crap in it. I chew that b/c its the only stuff left without all the nasty crap fake sugar chemical toxins - but now im concerned about the plastic. I have previously purchased the chicla brand at wholefoods - cinnamon of course. its a different texture but i like it - and am definitely ONLY purchasing that from now on. I grab gum for the reason of distraction / concentration. I do bring it to peoples awareness when they drop it on the street and I am called names. I once refused to move my car (my sister needed a ride and she was in the passenger seat) for a half an hour (mid trip) because she threw gum out my car window. I make decisions about purchases based on packaging ( I try my best to help ) but gum wrappers escaped me. Please tell me, what was the name of that app?
Jasmin Habelito | FMTV | 1 year, 10 months ago | Edited 1 year, 10 months ago
Hi Lisa! Lovely to hear from you. It would be best to connect with the filmmakers regarding this matter just to make sure you get the best response. Here is how you can contact them: http://www.darksideofthechew.com/filmmakers/ Yours in wellness ~ Jasmin
Kathleen Refosco | 1 year, 11 months ago
Crazy how we don't know.....and we don't always question sometimes! At least me anyway!
Francesca Massey | 1 year, 11 months ago
I kept thinking how much he looked like Joe Manganiello's brother. Great film, innovative and informative. Well narrated.
Ellen | 1 year, 11 months ago
Giving aspertame a break? It has no pier reviewed studies?
Please give me a break. I was done with this doc right then.
Done.
Leeanne Hibbert | 1 year, 11 months ago
Thank you again to Andrew Nisker for his informative and responsible movie. If only the hoards saw it!!!!!!
Francine Gough | 1 year, 11 months ago
Great history lesson and some good ideas for moving forward. I loved too that it was filmed largely in Toronto and they talked about the problems, I could recognize landmarks, etc. Just made it a bit more real for me. :)
Caroline MacDonald | 1 year, 11 months ago
Great info. Singapore was not mentioned where you can be fined if caught chewing gum. The gum on sidewalks is disgusting.
Nice to see a Canadian film on FMTV.