Common Weeds and Wild Edibles of the World

Runtime: 42m 20s | Release date: 2015

This film features: Sergei Boutenko.

Author/filmmaker Sergei Boutenko enjoys foraging for free food. He believes that wild edibles are extremely nutritious and should be collected and consumed regularly by everyone. To ensure that people collect edible plants in a safe and responsible manner, Boutenko produced this film.

Common Weeds And Wild Edibles Of The World is an instructional video on how to safely and sustainably harvest, clean, and prepare the most common wild edibles. In addition to in-depth instruction on how to forage for over a dozen edible plants, this movie also contains many useful tips that will help you reduce your monthly food bill and allow you to enjoy new, healthful, culinary flavors.

Sergei Boutenko

You may also like:

Gloria Luccarelli | 3 months, 2 weeks ago
Sergei, thank you so much for making this information available to all, I will start foraging and I promise I will be careful and mindful of the environment.
Joyce Ann Solomon | FMTV | 3 months, 2 weeks ago
Wonderful to hear that Gloria :) Keep it up! :) ~ Joyce
therese cornelius | 4 months ago
Buying your book! Before eating weeds was popular, I educated myself and picked them from my own backyard in L.A.
20 years later, I’m back wanting to learn more! Thank you for re-igniting my interest and inner passion for foraging!
Ivory David | FMTV | 4 months ago
We appreciate your lovely feedback Therese, we are more than happy to know that we have helped you get back on track ~ Ivory :)
Joanna McCluskey | 7 months, 2 weeks ago
Loved it! Thank you Sergei. There is much more that could be added, but alas it all has to fit into the time slot, and I liked how you oriented it toward harvesting and making a salad. I will say when I harvest I usually just pick the leaves or leaves and stems, leaving inner ones for the plant to recover more quickly and provide a continuous supply from the same plants. If your foraging grounds are limited and you are working with the same plants through the season it is a good habit to develop. More and more of this please...keep it up!
Karelle | FMTV | 7 months, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for watching, Joanna! We truly appreciate your lovely feedback! Stay tuned as we regularly add more films to FMTV. :) ~ Karelle
Amanda Prokopowich | 8 months, 3 weeks ago
I loved this! So informative! I learned so much! Thank you!
Lyndsay Ward | 1 year ago
OMG. What a fantastic video, I am so excited to go out for my daily dog walk now to see what I can find on Salisbury Plain in Wiltshire, UK. Now off to buy the book....!
Debbie Golding | 1 year, 3 months ago
second time I have heard Sergio - this was really great as I learned I have almost all of those edibles in my yard - thanks Sergio!
JANET | 1 year, 6 months ago
brings back memories! i remember eating inner grass stems as a kid whenever i was hunting for 4 leaf clover (then sometimes i'd eat the clover). i've got an unbelievable amount of pineapple weed in my yard, and unlike my neighbors, i've never felt the need to get rid of it. sometimes i just crush it and enjoy the scent.

my dad makes dandelion wine. unique flavour. i've weeded my garden and kept the leaves for salad, but i hear you can roast the root, grind it, and make a coffee-like drink out of it.

you totally missed the rose hips! the wild rose you pictured, when fruiting, produces a red berry. the seeds are inside along with some really unpalatable "hair". split a fresh berry open, remove the hair, and it's quite tasty and also good for tea. high in vitamin c - it's part of why we indigenous peoples did not get scurvy.

i'd love for you to do additional films focusing on native plants of various areas (northern plains, east coast, west coast, high elevation, desert areas).