FMTV - Chicken Quinoa Soup with Homemade Bone Broth

Chicken Quinoa Soup with Homemade Bone Broth

Series: Elizabeth Eats Series 1 | Episode: 5 | Runtime: 6m 55s | Release date: 2016

This segment features: Elizabeth Rider.

Canned and most restaurant chicken soups are filled with MSG, a chemical that you definitely don’t want to eat. Elizabeth starts off by showing you how to make your own bone broth at home; a food that’s been around for hundreds of years and really does heal you from the inside out. She then turns the broth into a to-die-for Chicken Quinoa Soup that’s easy to make and has a secret ingredient that will quickly turn this into your new favorite soup. You’ll also learn extra tips and tricks to perfecting and storing your broth at home.

Makes: approximately 5 quarts of stock or 12 servings of soup

Elizabeth Rider

More From Elizabeth Eats Series 1:

Iryna Boehland | 1 year, 5 months ago
Love chicken broth and soup. Will make it for sure.
I always cook the organ meats in the broth, as they are delicious and very nutritious. Liver has lots of iron.
I tried to cool with vinegar, but don't like the flavor it gives to the broth. I do understand the purpose though. If I cook the broth without it but longer, will I get the same result? Thank you
Jasmin Habelito | FMTV | 1 year, 5 months ago
Adding an acid (like lemon juice or vinegar) will help to extract minerals from the bones. But cooking the broth longer will make it more flavorful and nutritious. If you can cook your bones overnight for even richer, more nutrient-rich broth :) Enjoy! ~ Jasmin
Heather Braaten | 1 year, 7 months ago
This has become a staple for us. Thank you!
Elizabeth Rider | 1 year, 6 months ago
So glad! ~Elizabeth
Debbie | 1 year, 8 months ago
Have mine cooking today. I usually do it in a slow cooker but making it on the stove today, a little short on time. Thanks for sharing your recipe!
Elizabeth Rider | 1 year, 6 months ago
Hi Debbie, that's great! Thanks for being here. ~Elizabeth
Maria Salinas | 1 year, 8 months ago
Hello i usually cook the whole chicken in my slow cooker for 24 hrs, I've only done it twice before i watched this video. I guess my question is, is it okay to eat the meat after it has been cooking for so long? And when i put the broth in the refrigerator it usually doesn't gelatinize, other than not taking out the meat what am i doing wrong? thank you! I really like this video btw it was very helpful.
Elizabeth Rider | 1 year, 6 months ago
Hi Maria, the chicken is totally fine to eat if you cook it that long--it's more of a texture thing. As long as the slow cooker is on at least low it's safe to eat. (Side note: food that has been out at room temperature more than an hour is generally not recommended.) To get your broth to gelatinize, you most likely just need a higher bone to water ratio. Ask your butcher counter if they have extra chicken bones you can buy. I'm surprised that the broth from a whole chicken cooked for 24 hours doesn't gelatinize for you; it could also be that you forgot the apple cider vinegar? The acid in the vinegar helps pull the collagen from the bones, helping it gelatinize. The book Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon may also help. Hope that helps you; good luck! ~Elizabeth
Angela Pierson | 1 year, 9 months ago
I started mine as soon as I finished watching your video! You explain everything so well, making everything very simplistic and organized. Can't wait to make the soup tomorrow after it cooks overnight in the crockpot. Thank you! Looking forward to trying your other recipes.
Angela Pierson | 1 year, 9 months ago
The simple soup recipe with quinoa is delicious, Elizabeth! It was a hit with the whole family. Will be making this again and again.