50 Cents A Dose

Runtime: 117m 59s | Release date: 2015

After bringing their newly adopted son home from overseas, this couple realized that boys can be a bit wilder than girls. They also discovered that boys are four times as likely to develop autism. His memory jogged, this father revisits the medical study in which their oldest daughter participated: the study on Thimerosal (a mercury-based vaccine preservative).

During this process, the story breaks on the CDC whistleblower who confesses to the national cover-up on childhood injuries: a seminal event, on which the mainstream media remains silent. What begins as a lighthearted rumination on parenthood ends as a discovery of scandal and a nation in denial.

Barbara Loe Fisher
Dr. Brian Hooker
Dr. Sherri Tenpenny

You may also like:

Hanna Long | 8 months, 1 week ago
Hi

I wanted to know if u could recommend any source of information about vaccination especially the hpv that I could read and pass it on
Karelle | FMTV | 8 months, 1 week ago
Anna Foster | 1 year, 3 months ago
My own child had a horrible psoriasis-like rash all over her body shortly after receiving 5 vaccines several years ago. We are still struggling with getting some of the spots off her skin. Coincidence? I doubt it
Chantal Di Donato | 1 year, 10 months ago
Hi FMTV, is there are a chance to retrieve for the transcript of this documentary?
Ricky Barnes | 1 year, 5 months ago
Hello: Unfortunately, there are no published transcripts for this film. However, there are 2 special features on the film's website, which are extended interviews with 2 of our subjects. You can find them at www.50CentsMovie.com. Thanks a bunch and best to you! RB, 50 Cents A Dose.
Ricky Barnes | 1 year, 10 months ago
A great companion piece to this film is Trace Amounts, also on FMTV. They underscore each other nicely. Thank you FMTV!
JANET | 1 year, 10 months ago
vaccines do not cause autism. they really don't. also, autistic people like me really hate the way we are presented as such a big tragedy. our brains are different, not diseased. are vaccines safe? in general, yes. are they safe for everybody all the time? no. i think we can all agree on that. but don't use me as a scare tactic against vaccines. you do not have my permission to use me that way. autism can be a real gift as well as a curse. we don't need cure. those of us with severe issues do need treatment, but all of us need acceptance. don't tell me to look you in the eyes because it gives me a startle response. don't yell at me or turn your music loud because it is painful. don't take me in crowds because i can't block out the stimuli that neurotypicals can. stimming is not a bad thing unless injury occurs, it helps with focus and calming down the burning nerves. stop trying to cure us. start trying to help us be ourselves safely, and that means NOT treating us like lepers.

and i don't know about other countries, but in canada, thimerosal is only used in the flu vaccine which is easy to avoid. i've been autistic for over 40 years. stop blaming vaccines and start investigating other things, like gut microbes. those actually ARE scientifically linked to increase of autistic difficulties. Clostridium colonization is one factor, and i can tell you from experience my own ability to process stimuli was severely hampered when i had a C.diff infection. live probiotic/prebiotic foods are the way to go for that.
Ricky Barnes | 1 year, 10 months ago
Hi Janet:
Thanks for your comment and explaining your situation. I know that must be difficult. I'd encourage you to read Age of Autism, the authors of which are briefly interviewed in this film. It traces the first diagnosis, in the early 1940s and follows it to the current era. There are co-factors in the condition, to be sure. But what we've been conditioned to believe is not what lies within the annals of history, and the data is there, if one has the courage to look, and the ability to break free from our "cognitive disonance". You are not less of a person because of your condition, and no one would deem to suggest it. This is not an attack upon you or anyone, as a "lesser person" because of a malady. I'm sorry if you felt that after seeing the film. But the condition deemed "autistic was "never seen" before it appeared in the 40s. I have friends who are on the spectrum, and they tell me that life is hard. Wouldn't it be nice if "life were better"? I don't think of these friends as lepers; but I know if they could make things easier for themselves, they'd jump at the chance. Mercury and vaccines are 2 co-factors consistent with this condition. There are other co-factors which suggest correlation, but not in the same consistent pattern as these products. We all need to step up to the plate and address that - only then will real change ever occur, difficult as it may be to face. Sincerely, RB 50 Cents A Dose
JANET | 1 year, 10 months ago
thank you for your response. i am not sure if that particular book is in our library but i will certainly look for it.

your comments reflect a lack of understanding of the point. this is unsurprising and a common vein among anti-vaxxers. i do not have a MALADY. there is no cognitive dissonance here, i am autistic just like i am female. i am autistic just like i am Anishinaabe (indigenous nation). my husband is neurotypical, just as he is male, and he is a bald white guy. autism isn't some disease i have. autism is who i am, and you know, i love me. i'm much smarter than average, i was at the top of my nursing class. medical phenomena are one of my "obsessions" that autistics are prone to (everybody's got something they'll talk your ear off about, for me it's human biology). everybody else was studying frantically before an organic chemistry exam and i sat aside playing with molecular models i made into Bucky Balls. got 90% in that class because i was able to play with stuff.

would it be better if life was better? absolutely. how do we make life better? education and acceptance. no less. you are treating me as if i have a disease. who i am is not a disease. who i am is a fairly cool autistic person. i went to ageofautism.com and while i think the lawyer was terribly uneducated, i too do not believe wakefield to be a very trustworthy source. i have friends (two pediatricians, one emergency room MD, and one ND) who all said - without exception - that wakefield was discredited. i read as much as i could on both sides, and he is a smart man (not to mention gracious, judging from the clip), but the research he conducted was deeply flawed from the get go. unfortunately, every anti-vaxxer i've met point to him as proof that i've got my head in the sand. and they (not knowing i'm autistic) treat autistic people as if their autism is the worst thing possible in the world. i need the public to know - WE HATE THAT. my life is pretty good as long as i set up my environment right (reduced noise/flashing lights/rough surfaces) and though my biological family doesn't understand me well, my neurotypical husband certainly does, as do ALL his friends and mine. why? because his brother is autistic. and a brilliant psychologist. gifted musician. and just plain fun. if you took away his autism, he'd be an entirely different person and that would make me terribly sad, as if he had died. he's not sick, he's different in the most wonderful way.
Ricky Barnes | 1 year, 10 months ago
Hi Janet:
I understand how you feel, and I do not doubt your capabilities. However, I did not invent the term autism. ASD, as I'm sure you're aware is a subcategory of PDD (pervasive developmental disorders) which I, as well, did not make up. Under PDD, there is ADD, ADHD, ASD and NOS ('not otherwise specified'). These are considered "maladies" by every medical authority under the sun, henceforth, the labels. i.e. 'not typical' (although, of course, that is changing as the "epidemic" worsens) (again "autism epidemic" is a term I did not invent).
Thank you for bringing up Dr. Wakefield. I didn't mention him in the film, but apparently, you're aware of him. I'd be curious to know why you mention Dr. Wakefield, and not ... the Vaccine Injury Compensation Program - which has been paying the families of autistic kids for vaccine damage for years? And why not mention the product inserts for both the DTaP, and the MMR; both of which list ASD as an associated malady? And why not mention the Institute of Medicine document which also lists ASD as part of the working list of adverse events associated with those two, aforementioned products. And why not mention Hannah Polling - the seminal case wherein her family was awarding damages for her vaccine-injury autism? Why not mention CDC Head, Julie Gerberding, who on national TV stated that under the right conditions, vaccination can cause "autism like systems"? And I haven't even gotten to mercury yet!

Confession: I went to high school in the 70s. These conditions were not there. "Autism" was not a word in our vocabulary. My high school had 1280 kids, all pulled from a rural county. And the conditions that I see all over today's high schools, were not visible in my youth. The rate was 1 in 10,000. So rare, that the Department of Education didn't even add it to their list of "maladies" until 1992, when cases began to skyrocket. I was there then, and I'm here now; and it's two very different worlds.

So I'm super glad you are confident, talented and happy. Indeed, who can ask for more? You are one of the lucky ones, and it's excellent you realize that. But people who use the term "anti-vaxxer" like a racial slur, give me serious pause. What motivates you to use this label and where did you get it? The richest corporations in the world love it when they can bait people to act menacing in defense of their products. It protects their interests. I think we should be a bit more interested in protecting children.

Peace to you Janet! And again, apologies if you felt slighted. 'Certainly not my intent!

Truly, RB. 50 Cents A Dose