FMTV - The Secrets of Deep Breathing

The Secrets of Deep Breathing

Series: Sleep & Stress Expert Interviews | Episode: 6 | Runtime: 61m 03s | Release date: 2017

This segment features: James Colquhoun, Wim Hof.

Join Wim Hof and James Colquhoun for an interview about the power of breathing to overcome stress.

Not only will you learn about the power of breathing to overcome stress, you will also discover:

• Learn to awaken something innate within us.
  • Understand the connection between our will and our deeper systems the way nature equipped us.
  • Learn how to counteract a lot of the stress and pressure.
  • Understanding the physiology of our body and how it deals with the stress of the world to be happy, strong and healthy.

This breathing exercise has a profound effect on the body and should be practiced in the way which it is explained. Always do the breathing exercise in a beautiful, safe environment - we recommend sitting on a couch or floor. Never practice the exercises before or during diving, driving, swimming, taking a bath or in any other environment/place where, should you pass out, a serious injury could occur. This type of breathing may cause tingling sensations and/or lightheadedness. If you begin to feel faint, please discontinue the practice - it’s important to listen to your body - this practice may not be right for everyone.

The cold is a powerful force. We strongly advise to gradually build up exposing yourself to the cold - start with a warm shower and slowly switch to cold for around 30 seconds. Always train without force and listen to your body carefully. If it is not practiced responsible, there is a risk of hypothermia.

To find out more, visit www.wimhofmethod.com

We recommend always checking in with your practitioner before commencing this practice to ensure it is right for you. We do not recommend it for those who are pregnant, have epilepsy, cardiovascular health issues, or any other (serious) health conditions.

Wim Hof

More From Sleep & Stress Expert Interviews:

Elza Novais | 2 months ago
This was a great, and beautiful interview; I love it all! Now I have no excuses to not go for the cold shower😉
Karelle | FMTV | 2 months ago
We're so glad to hear that, Elza! ~ Karelle
Tina Barber | 2 months, 1 week ago
There was a program in the uk about cold water swimming , they also had amazing results for illness and depression.
I cannot do that near where I live so any idea how long I should stay in the shower for ?( not too long I hope)
Iris Aguanta | FMTV | 2 months, 1 week ago
Hi Tina, we recommend gradually building up your exposure to cold over time - start by slowly switching the shower to cold for 30 seconds and gradually increase the time until your whole shower is cold! It is important to note to always train yourself without force and carefully listening to your body. For more details and should you have further questions, kindly head to this link here: https://www.wimhofmethod.com/faq. I would also suggest checking out Wim's 'The Power Of Cold Therapy' video here: https://www.fmtv.com/watch/class2-the-power-of-cold-therapy. I hope this helps :) ~ Iris
Mandy Canfield | 5 months, 3 weeks ago
This was great! I’ve started doing the breathing and the showers after working through the Transcendence class. I couldn’t believe how long I could go without breath after the first couple of rounds of it. You certainly get clarity for the rest of the day and feel a lot calmer. Here’s to controlling the body systems! Thank you. 😀
Iris Aguanta | FMTV | 5 months, 2 weeks ago
That is wonderful to know, Mandy! Happy to hear it's working well for you :) ~ Iris
carolan ammirata | 7 months, 1 week ago
great interview ..i teach transformational breath to my students which utilizes an open mouth . i find this to be such a simple approach and most effective ..what i realize no matter what method you choose..it all works. god bless your passion and work Wim ....i love it and james too...my favorite video is james teaching wim's method.
Joyce Ann Solomon | FMTV | 7 months ago
Wow! Thank you so much for the feedback and for sharing us your thoughts, Carolan. We are so glad to hear that you are loving Wim's Method :) ~ Joyce
Christoph Binder | 8 months, 1 week ago
Beautiful conversation, i was really touched by how much love and respect james and wim hof have for each other, which clearly showed at the end. Two real men. We need real men like you two, you are certainly role models for me.

Again this was such a fascinating conversation. And my mind was already blown but when wim hof drew the connection between inflammation in the body and depression, whcih i think is a bit wats going on in my body,. my mind blew up again. Mind blown twice.
Iris Aguanta | FMTV | 8 months, 1 week ago
Wow! So happy to hear you were blown away by this interview, Christoph! Hope this takes your health to a new level! :) ~ Iris